HomeHome  FAQ/HelpFAQ/Help  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

Number of posts : 13196
Fave Member : Robbie with a bit of Mark on the side!
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:59 pm

Jump Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

It will be some kind of competition/lottery thing i bet, knowing rw.com Roll Eyes

i was about to go to bed Roll Eyes Bye Bedtime

You can't argue with popularity! (Well you could, but you'd be wrong...)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenc
Staff
Staff

Number of posts : 21868
Fave Member : Mr Orange

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:01 pm

Yeah I'm going now...I know I said that like half an hour ago but i AM going now Yes Roll Eyes Laugh

Night Mazza Death Hug hug Wave Bye Bedtime

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:02 pm

Coz we're in the Rob thread: SRD's Grin Grin Laugh Kiss

Back to top Go down
View user profile
elaine 79
May Have No Life
May Have No Life

Number of posts : 1766
Fave Member : Rob/Gary

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:11 pm

karenc wrote:
Elaine can camp out for the tickets, I'm sure she won't mind No

Laugh Laugh Laugh hug

the olympia eh? yeh thats a small venue

of course ill camp out for the tickets!!

or ill just get up early and rely on the internet, its never let me down yet Grin

need to know what if any radio stations will promote it

oohhh wonder if he'll go on the late late show, i could possibly get tickets for that Think
Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenc
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:36 am

elaine 79 wrote:
karenc wrote:
Elaine can camp out for the tickets, I'm sure she won't mind No

Laugh Laugh Laugh hug

the olympia eh? yeh thats a small venue

of course ill camp out for the tickets!!

or ill just get up early and rely on the internet, its never let me down yet Grin

need to know what if any radio stations will promote it

oohhh wonder if he'll go on the late late show, i could possibly get tickets for that Think

God, it's like when TT tickets were coming out all over again Panic Scared Laugh

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:48 am

Quote :
Two recent Robbie memories spring to mind: firstly, watching a wedding band waddle through Let Me Entertain You. The perfectly average performance centred the song into view. Stripped of Robbie's bare chest, Kiss facepaint and catsuit, the song stood out of context, out of time, and kind of cringey.

Secondly, sitting through an hour-long Robbie special on VH-1, watching him smirk through Millennium and move awkwardly during Radio. The gurning superstar who was playing at being devilish. At the time they were brilliant, slightly subversive pop moments. But the years haven't been kind to them.

The boy from Stoke returns with a new album - Reality Killed The Video Star produced by Trevor Horn - in November, his first for three years, but we can't help wonder if his success was all about the context. Looking back, it's clear to see that the period in which he scored five consecutive No 1 albums (1997 to 2002) was a weirdly flat time in popular culture.

Musically, we were living in a black hole; Cerys Matthews appeared edgy and Air seemed like the coolest things in the world. More generally, the culture of the confessional celebrity had come into its own. The seed was planted by word-vomit tome Prozac Nation (1994) and by the time Big Brother and Heat magazine arrived, we were ready to embrace the age of Too Much Information. We expected more from our celebrities and Robbie Williams was the perfect pop star to fill that need.

He was a celeb who unwittingly defined the era. Damaged, but therapy-speak honest, clownishly arrogant but self-hating and ready to get naked at any moment. Robbie's career was built around him screaming "please help me" to anyone who would listen.

This was the narrative that unfolded through his work. There were the winking album titles (Life Thru A Lens); songs which analysed the damage from his Take That days (No Regrets, The 90s); his insecurities (Strong); and his drug addiction (Good Doctor). Not to mention the videos (Eternity, featuring a Nicole Appleton lookalike; Come Undone and Rock DJ both showing Williams having very different sorts of celebrity meltdowns).

Robbie, more than any modern singer, calls to mind Warren Beatty's quote about Madge, "She doesn't want to live off camera ... Why would you say something if it's off camera? What point is there existing?"

He fled to LA when, in a career full of punchlines, the final joke seemed to be on him - namely the double whammy of the commercially underselling (but artistically triumphant) Rudebox and the surprise success of Take That V2.0. Robbie may have gotten hirsute and heavy in California, but there was sense he was finally at peace; in a city where everyone was a wannabe, he could go about his business unbothered.

The truth is, Robbie feels like a brilliant relic from a time that has passed. Can the 2009 model really say anything that hasn't been said before? Successful as the new album will be, we can't help but think Robbie would be happier UFO-spotting in Roswell than bothering with this pop star lark again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/aug/15/robbie-williams-next-album

Thought that was a really good piece, really.

Last edited by Mary on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
larajayne
Staff
Staff

Number of posts : 11964
Fave Member : Gary
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:53 am

Think

Quote :
Robbie may have gotten hirsute and heavy in California, but there was sense he was finally at peace; in a city where everyone was a wannabe, he could go about his business unbothered.

That was my favourite bit of that article.

Finally someone who isn't saying he must be off his head and losing the plot because he put on weight and grew a beard. Roll Eyes

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. Homer Simpson
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://beaudy.ephpbb.com/index.htm
Aurora
Slightly Obsessed
Slightly Obsessed

Number of posts : 8207
Fave Member : I refuse to choose.
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:56 am

Very good article.
Let's hope they're wrong at the end though. No one wants him unhappy again.
I think he wouldn't have done it if it was the wrong thing for him. I hope.

Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:20 am

I liked the description of Rudebox - very rare to read one like that Laugh

Was a really good piece, didnt seem like the author did it just to fill space with slagging Rob off as is often the case. It was well thought out and quite objective. It's a shame good things like this are so rare Roll Eyes Laugh

As for him being happy.... he said a few months back that we very nearly lost our pop-star - he went through a time where he didn't want to be Robbie Williams anymore, but then he got the buzz back. So I would like to think he's back because he wants to be. He does need to finish off his contract though, so i guess that's a factor in him coming back. The big desicion will come once he's completed the contract I guess.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Aurora
Slightly Obsessed
Slightly Obsessed

Number of posts : 8207
Fave Member : I refuse to choose.
Registration date : 2008-03-29

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:26 am

Mary wrote:

Was a really good piece, didnt seem like the author did it just to fill space with slagging Rob off as is often the case. It was well thought out and quite objective. It's a shame good things like this are so rare Roll Eyes Laugh

As for him being happy.... he said a few months back that we very nearly lost our pop-star - he went through a time where he didn't want to be Robbie Williams anymore, but then he got the buzz back. So I would like to think he's back because he wants to be. He does need to finish off his contract though, so i guess that's a factor in him coming back. The big desicion will come once he's completed the contract I guess.

No doubt he's waiting to see how it goes, like the rest of us.

The scary and horrible truth is that the press/media could make it or break it. I really hate that.

Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:27 am

Mary wrote:

Yeah that's what I thought. Yes

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. Homer Simpson
Back to top Go down
karenc
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:50 pm

Mary wrote:

Yep I liked the fact that the articles didn't totally slate Rudebox, as most articles do Yes Roll Eyes

They also seem to have taken time to write it objectively like you say Mary, and not just to slag Rob off.

I really hope that what he comes back with is amazing and proves all his doubters wrong Grin

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tina
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

Number of posts : 11905
Fave Member : Jason...a tinny bit Mark

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:45 am

Hyper Hyper
I just realised that the single will be out at the 9th October and album at the 6th November over here Jump
And the management is doing a good job with airplay, never heard so much Rob songs on the radio as the last three weeks or so

Edit: Airplay for the new single is here at the 4th September Hyper

Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:31 am

airplay on the 4th September would be perfect for us too...

Lara, Mary Cool

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:35 am

I've noticed alot more Rob songs on the readio in the past month or so too Yes Which is always fab Grin

Yeh, i reckon the thing on rw.com is about hearing the single so expected airplay to begin in the next few weeks Clap

Back to top Go down
View user profile
larajayne
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:37 pm

4th September at 8am no doubt...when I'll be slaving away at work Bugger

Back to top Go down
larajayne
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:37 pm

larajayne wrote:

Although saying that...we normally get first play's on a monday don't we? Think

Back to top Go down
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Could the UK airplay be earlier though? Like a week after the rw.com announcement...? I don't know how a bank holiday would affect it all though, not much i guess Shrug

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:39 pm

larajayne wrote:
larajayne wrote:

Although saying that...we normally get first play's on a monday don't we? Think

That's what i'm thinking too Yes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
karenc
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Mary wrote:
Could the UK airplay be earlier though? Like a week after the rw.com announcement...? I don't know how a bank holiday would affect it all though, not much i guess Shrug

Bank Holiday wouldn't affect it I don't think!! Think

Oooh I'm getting Hyper now Laugh

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:08 pm

The album will be up against the JLS album Sad No

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bravissima
Definitely Has No Life
Definitely Has No Life

Number of posts : 3239
Registration date : 2008-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm

Are you announcing dates of Robīs TV promo appearances here as well? I hope heīs doing European TV shows as well!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
larajayne
Staff
Staff

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:05 pm

There's a Robbie Diary thread on here now so any news of promo then I'm sure Mary or one of us will keep it updated Grin

Back to top Go down
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:06 pm

Yeh, i'll try and update the Diary thread as soon as I know anything Yes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mary
Maybe a Lost Cause
Maybe a Lost Cause

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:10 pm

Mary wrote:
The album will be up against the JLS album Sad No

adding to this is that Leona's is out the week after. So if he does manage to get to #1, then it will only be for a week Roll Eyes

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009   

Back to top Go down

Album - 'Reality Killed The Video Star' - Nov 9th + Single - 'Bodies' - Oct 12th 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 18  Next